This is a checklist of the documents you will need to file bankruptcy in Kentucky or Indiana. You may download and print the PDF version of the Kentucky Bankruptcy checklist here. Make sure to get a copy of our manual when you visit our office and the free Dave Ramsey book. You can also download our manual which explains step by step how to manage or bankrupt foreclosures, student loans and income taxes.
To file your bankruptcy, the following documents are required (you may scan, fax 625-0940 or give us a copy). No originals please – we destroy paper copies after properly scanning them!.
Kentucky Bankruptcy Checklist the required documents
For a Chapter 7 we need:
- the Bank Statements for all open bank accounts (including joint accounts) in the last 6 months plus
- all of the documents listed below for a Chapter 13
For Chapter 13 we need:
- Proof of Household income for the prior 6 months – Examples are the last 6 months of paystubs, or a social security benefit letter stating your income. (household income = husband & wife’s income even if only one person is filing)
- Federal & State Tax returns for the prior two years. Transcripts are not your tax returns
- Vehicle Titles for any boats, cars, trailers, motorcycles titled in your name. If you are on the title for mom’s car include it.
- Deed and Mortgage – Recorded copy showing book and page numbers. For Jefferson County you can find liens, deed and mortgage on the County Clerk’s Website www.landrecords.jcc.ky.gov/records/S0Search.html other counties go to the court clerk.
- Copy of Driver’s License and Social Security Card (you must bring these to your hearing)
- Fill in the intake on our website. List the name, address, and amount of all debts (free credit reports are available at www.annualcreditreport.com 1-877-322-8228 Credit reports are useful to provide addresses and account numbers for some but not all of the creditors.)
- List the name and address of any Child Support or Alimony Recipient in the intake as a debt.
- Proof of Large or Extraordinary Expenses (medical expenses, charity, etc.)
- Credit Counseling Certificate Your case CANNOT be filed without the Counseling certificate. We recommend Dave Ramsey www.DHDR.com 888-963-8088 our attorney code is KY0197 Other services we recommend include: www.bkcert.com where phones are answered 24 hours a day 7 days a week it may be a little more expensive, but it is extremely fast. You can contact them at 866-859-7323; the cheapest place offering credit counseling courses is www.mybknow.com and here is my code for a 10 dollar discount 2537DTMV. You must also take the Debtor Education course immediately after filing your bankruptcy or you will not receive a discharge. Dave Ramsey automatically files the 2nd course certificate
- To strip a 2nd mortgage or judgment lien – complete our form for stripping a lien.
- It takes 3-4 hours to read our book. The average person that reads our book will get about 8,000 dollars more benefit from filing their bankruptcy than someone that doesn’t.
Please take some time to learn about bankruptcy and work with us to achieve your goals. The average person that doesn’t plan their bankruptcy loses at least 8,000 dollars. We pride ourselves in planning your bankruptcy. We believe that the average person will spend 3 hours to read our book, be prepared and save time, stress and money. You won’t know what to avoid and what to do unless you read and become educated. Your bankruptcy will always be much easier and more profitable if you understand and work with us to get the results you deserve. You should also take a day to read the free Dave Ramsey book “Starting Over” we give you. This book helps you to start your life over on a successful budget with good credit so you can qualify for mortgages and car loans at normal rates after filing.
- Filing Fee $335.00
- Chapter 7 Attorney Fee: Single Filing $1200.00 – Joint $1400.00
- Chapter 13 Attorney Fee: paid through the bankruptcy court as payments are made.
We do cases in Kentucky and Indiana. We travel to Lexington and Covington at no additional charge.