Counseling and Helpful Links

Credit Counseling Debtor Education

The Credit Counseling class is mandatory. Your case cannot be filed without the certificate you get from it.  The certificate expires after 6 months. You should take the Debtor Education course immediately after the case is filed if you want the discharge. This page has Bankruptcy help links information and other resources which will save you time so read the entire page.

The fee for the credit counseling and debtor education may be waived if you are below the poverty guideline income.  However, providers will require you to prove poverty and it takes your time. Military personnel on active duty are normally exempt from the counseling requirement.  If you are not able to complete the course online, you can get counseling over the phone. Counseling over the phone tends to cost more. Credit Counseling certificates are good for 6 months.

Forgetting to take the second Debtor Education class is a costly common mistake.  If you forget to take the second course (Debtor Education) before your case closes you will have to file a motion to reopen the case, pay another filing fee and a small attorney fee.  This 600 dollar cost can be avoided by taking the second class and filing the certificate immediately after your case is filed.

Debtor Education and Credit Counseling Course Providers

We searched the entire web for you to find the two best course providers. Both BKcert and StartFreshToday file the second Debtor Education class automatically for you, This is a list of the approved agencies.  Here are course providers we trust the most:

1.In an emergency, www.bkcert.com is open 24/7. The big advantage to BKcert is we get certificates immediately in case of an emergency filing. This provider offers custom tailored counseling. The counseling for foreclosure clients is different than counseling for clients with medical debts or clients with tax problems.  It may be more relevant to you if you are listening to a credit counseling designed specifically for your problems. Here is the 1st Credit Counseling course and here is the Second Debtor Ed course you take after you file.

2. www.startfreshtoday.com The Start Fresh Today platform conveniently offers the Credit Counseling and Debtor Education courses online or by phone at the same price for single or joint filers with full customer support and fast certificate delivery. 800-435-9138 our attorney code is NT4459. They do close however at 10 pm.

Helpful Bankruptcy Resources and information

A) This video from Fresh Start is about the required credit counseling course you must take before you can file your case. Register with one of the two providers below to make sure your class is reliably sent to the court.

B) It is helpful to have a copy of your credit report when you list the creditors on our intake. At the bottom of this page is a short Video on “How to properly get your free credit report and how hard it is to repair credit”.

C) We don’t just file your bankruptcy petition like other offices. We provide resources to keep you on a successful budget with free training from Dave Ramsey and credit repair services after you file bankruptcy with us. If you look at the page on credit repair under the bankruptcy tab you will see we have made it easy for our clients to repair your credit with Rocket Dog and Credit Assurance.

Helpful Bankruptcy Links

You can follow your entire case at this website www.ndc.org  and also look at www.13datacenter.com for your Chapter 13 case data.

A copy of your property taxes is here: Jefferson County PVA. And the Deed and Mortgage for Jefferson County is here: Jefferson County Land Records.

Social Security Cards : If you need a new social security care Call 1-800-772-1213 or go to www.ssa.gov

IRS Returns: You can get a copy of your tax transcripts for the prior 2 years by calling 1-800-829-1040. Tax returns and/or a copy of your account with the IRS are available. Failing to file tax returns or provide copies of your taxes or your Social Security card is the basis to automatically dismiss your case.   Hopefully you will have filed your taxes for the prior 2 years.  If you need to bankrupt income taxes you will need both the account transcripts and your returns.  These are different documents.  IRS transaction codes on the transcript tell you if your debt is old enough to discharge and what was done in your account. You may also download at proofoftax.com or irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

You can download our manual that explains step by step how to handle foreclosures, student loan debt and how to bankrupt income taxes

Credit Report and Credit Repair Video and links

Free Credit Report:  The video at the bottom of this page shows how to get a free credit report at Annualcreditreport.com or 1–877–322–8228. A credit report is helpful to gather the debts account numbers and addresses. Do not pay for additional services. The credit report is useful for listing the debt addresses and checking that you have included all of the debts.

Credit Repair: You can remove out dated untrue and misleading information from your credit file. In the process you may also remove much of the negative information. We suggest if you file bankruptcy, that you repair your credit file for about 1 year after your discharge. The credit after bankruptcy page under the bankruptcy navigation tab lists the services we have personally used and like.

Short Video: How to properly get your free credit report and how hard it is to repair credit.